Tuesday 30 August 2011

DAY THIRTY SEVEN (2)

Forgot to mention - I got some great advice from Alistair Humphreys the other day about surviving in South America and keeping costs down. 

It's so helpful to hear from people that have "done it" and removes some of those mental barriers in thinking I'm not "that type of person".

Al's books documenting his trip around the world are certainly worth reading. I'm half-way through the second book at the moment and need to finish it soon. He completely captures the human side of things which is surely the most difficult part.

It's also made me re-think my trip slightly. I've been umming and arrring about whether to start north and go south or the other way around but his description of Columbia suggests that it's worth taking the risk on (another thing I've been unsure about) - however I'd rather not start there. It'd be good as well to end it amongst people rather than the wilderness.

Al has some great quotes including -

"If you're not hurting you're not riding hard enough
If you're not hungry you've eaten too much
If you're not cold you're carrying too many clothes
If you know you will succeed it's too easy."


No comments:

Post a Comment