Monday 22 August 2011

DAY TWENTY NINE

Weekends. They are the enemy. Or maybe it's weekend me.

Weekday me can eat nothing but healthy stuff (and be happier for it), get his 5 a day and drink 3 litres of water. He can resist the temptation of 3 pints after work and will cycle to work in the rain.

Weekend me listens to the other shoulder. He'll try to be the last one standing, get up at midday, take the bus and look for materialistic thrills to pass the day.

At some point one side will have to back down...




2 comments:

  1. Hey Tom... Came across your blog from your comment on Al Humphrey's page. I like the sentiment of The End of Excuses... I think I had that epiphany a few years later than you but even then it never feels quite as easy as it sounds to just go do what you want...

    Anyway, until last year I had no desire to do any kind of tour (I'm more of a mountain biker)... Al's books changed that - I don't think I'd ever considered 'adventure' touring. My first trip starts in the next couple of days - I just have a couple of months free for a ride in safe Europe for now but I'm hoping to do about half of that off road and end up at a mate's place in Switzerland... I've just packed one pannier and its HEAVY :-) My blog was resurrected for the same purpose as yours - to declare my intention to anyone who was listening and make sure I actually went! Hope your prep goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Great - so pleased to hear from someone that's also caught the bug. I completely agree that making that final jump to say "sod it" I'm off is the hardest part. Whilst I can't wait for the day to come I know it's going to be hard to leave it all behind (even if only for a few months).

    I look forward to trawling through your blog and getting some tips. Best of luck with the trip! I've only ever driven through Europe before but I can imagine the mountains of Switzerland being incredible to cycle through.

    Tom.

    ReplyDelete